Tooth Extractions in Fayetteville, NC
Safe, Effecient Tooth Removal
Do you have a toothache, a dental injury, or an overcrowded tooth?
Westlake Family Dentistry offers a variety of treatments to address dental issues and restore optimal oral health—one of these treatments being tooth extraction. Dr. Mike Choe will remove a troubled tooth only as a last resort to preserve your smile.
Tooth extraction is the removal of a tooth as can be necessary for a few different reasons. Dr. Choe uses great care and skill when performing a tooth extraction to ensure that your dental experience is as comfortable and painless as possible.
Following the tooth extraction, we are happy to provide you with one of our excellent tooth replacement treatments, such as dental implants, to restore your smile to optimal health, beauty, and function. We will also give you a detailed post-treatment care instructions so you can properly take care of your smile as it heals.
Reasons for a Tooth Extraction
While we strive to avoid the need to remove a tooth whenever possible, certain conditions may make tooth extraction the most effective option for returning your smile to good health and function. These conditions may necessitate tooth extraction are:
- Severe infection that has destroyed a significant portion of the tooth and supporting bone structure.
- Serious decay that has damaged a tooth beyond repair, making a successful restoration impossible.
- Crowding caused by too many teeth to properly fit in the mouth.
Wisdom Tooth Extraction
Wisdom teeth are known as the third set of molars in the mouth and they usually grow in between the ages of 17 and 25, however, some people might not develop them at all.
If these teeth do decide to grow in, they’ll oftentimes grow in to be impacted because there isn’t extra space for them in the mouth. An impacted wisdom tooth may grow at an angle towards the next tooth or backwards, grow at a right angle as if the tooth is lying down, or stay trapped within the jawbone.
In this case, most people will need to have their wisdom teeth extracted if it is impacted so it doesn’ affect your other teeth in the future. Once your wisdom teeth are removed, you won’t need to have tooth replacements because these are considered extra teeth.
Emergency Tooth Extractions
Another common reason for a tooth extraction is in the case of an emergency. Emergency dental care is offered here at our Fayetteville office for anyone who has unexpected, severe dental pain, a broken tooth, or an urgent need for a replacement tooth.
If you call for an emergency tooth extraction, this means one or more of your teeth have chipped, cracked, or broken apart, and there is no way for Dr. Choe to save it. Once the tooth has decayed to a point that can’t be saved, we will carefully extract the tooth and restore it with a restorative solution.
Aftercare for Your Extracted Tooth
After your extraction, we’ll provide you with detailed aftercare instructions. Following these directions will help prevent complications and speed up the healing process.
Basic care instructions include:
- Rest for 24 hours after your extraction and take it easy for the next few days.
- Avoid smoking to avoid the risk of complications.
- Try not to lay flat so you can help minimize your healing time.
- Apply an ice bag for 10 minutes at a time to reduce pain and swelling.
- Use OTC pain medication or anything Dr. Choe may prescribe.
- Avoid the extraction site when brushing and flossing.
- Leave the gauze in place for several hours after your extraction.
- Don’t rinse, spit, or use a straw for 24 hours after the procedure.
Scheduling Your Tooth Extraction Appointment
For more information on tooth extraction and to schedule your personalized consultation at our Fayetteville dental office, we invite you to call 910-864-2944 or visit us today. We are committed to improving your smile!